Today, Karasubazar (Belogorsk) leaves the impression of a typical provincial town. However, there were times when the town would create the history of Crimea.
The first mentioning of Karasubazar goes back to the 13th century.
By the end of the 16th century, the town surpassed by the number of inhabitants all other peninsula’s towns.
During the late Middle Ages, the town was the major transit point on the caravan routes leading to Kezlev (Eupatoria) and Kefe (Feodosiya).
The whole commercial life of Karasubazar would pass in caravan-sarays, where the trade was mainly active in livestock products, as well as in weapons, clothing, bread and grapes.
During the power of the Crimean Khanate, Karasubazar was the Centre of the Shirinskys’ noble dynasty possessions
The Shirinskys family Estate was located in the village of Murzakoy (now Divnoye).
In 1736, after the then capital of Crimea, Bakhchisaray had been burned by Russian troops led by Minih; Karasubazar became the residence of Khan Fetikh II Giray, but a year later, the town itself was also burned – this time by the army of General Douglas.
At that time, there were about 6000 houses in Karasubazar, 38 mosques, 2 Christian churches for the Armenians and Greeks, 60 water mills and many different public buildings.
Karasubazar has never recovered after having been burned and ruined.
By the time of Russian annexation of the Crimean Khanate in 1783-1784, there lived 10317 inhabitants in Karasubazar.
The town had then 21 mosque, 1 – medrese-tekie and 1 mekteb (school).
In the summer of 1783, by the order of Prince Potemkin Karasubazar was declared, for a short period, the administrative Centre of the peninsula.
Before 1786, the overwhelming number of local people left the town and moved to the Caucasus and Minor Asia.
Ten years after the conquest of the Crimea in 1793-94, the academician P.S. Pallas, describing the peninsula, in particular, noted: «several good houses, large stone shops and mosques with their towers give Karasubazar its present look…»
There are 23 Tatar mosques, three churches and a synagogue in the town.
Right up to the deportation of Crimean Tatars on 18th of May, 1944 Karasubazar was one of the two (along with Bakhchisaray) Crimean towns, where the indigenous population prevailed.
The greatness of Karasubazar was embodied in numerous images taken at different times.
We have selected the best of them for your attention.
All the images are clickable to view them better.
Извините. Данных пока нет.